Followers

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Thing 7 Networking with POs

My networking skills are limited. Professional organizations save me. As a library school student I am a part of SOLIS. This organization consists of student membership to ALA, SLA, and ASIS&T. But in all honesty my participation is limited (by geography) to online activities. Which as you can imagine is few and far between. Not that SOLIS doesn't try but it is hard to get people miles away involved with people on campus.

I have gotten involved with other organizations. For instance, I am a peer reviewer for a student journal. In place of the traditional participation in on campus activities, I have done my best to participate in online activities. But in all honesty, working full time and going to school part time (online or not) does not leave room for much else. I remember a few semesters ago, SOLIS was trying to get an off campus student to have an officer position. The only problem was that they wanted this person to drive to them and meet on campus. What? How does that make sense? Shouldn't the off campus officer be coordinating off campus things? Why not have conference calls or skype? I probably should have pointed this out but I wasn't going to volunteer my time for the position so I let it be. But of course, now I wonder if I had pointed that out if there would now be an off campus officer.

Everything in retrospect. Oh well, back to the topic. Or at least a topic like comment. I do hope to attend one ALA conference at some point or any conference to do with librarianship. A lot of the librarians I work with have partcipated in or are presently participating in some committee for a professional organization. They say it's a lot of work but it's a great experience. They feedback makes me want to join one when I am actually a librarian. I'm so gullible, they could probably say that snow is green and just because I haven't seen it in person I would believe them. Okay, that was a little dramatic. I know snow is white, so telling me its green will just get a "smile and wave" ( I love the Madagascar penguins).

No comments:

Post a Comment